Le Rheun Pempoul et son calvaire


The ancient village of Rheun-Pempoul surrounds a calvary from 1822 depicting the Virgin and Saint Jean at the foot of the cross.

The village has old dwellings of traders and shipowners bearing proof of intense maritime activity in bygone years, notably during the 15th and 16th centuries.

The port was very busy when the ducales squadrons came to shelter here or when fishing boats left for Newfoundland or when adventurers left to seek fortune in unknown territories of South America.

In 1527, in a petition to King François the 1st, the shipowners of Saint-Pol-de-Léon claimed to be the first to trade with Brazil. During the 17th century, Pempoul lived from trading canvas and wine. The port was abandoned because it was progressively blocked with sand and replaced with the port of Roscoff until French Revolution.


Lieu Dit le Rheun Pempoul
29250 Saint-Pol-de-Léon

Add to favoritesRemove from favorites

Route & access