Porte Saint Guillaume
In the past, Saint-Pol-de-Léon was a fortified city with four entrance doors.
In the past, Saint-Pol-de-Léon was a fortified city with four entrance doors which have since disappeared : the door of Guénan, destroyed in 1709, the stones were used for the construction of the hospital. The Carmes door, demolished in 1745 although the remain can be found in the gate of the cemetary. Batz door, destroyed in 1773, the materials were used for the construction of the ancient marketplace and Saint Guillaume door, here rue Verderel, but demolished in 1761.
Before French Revolution, it was customary for new bishops to pass through this door. They woud leave from Saint Pierre chapel and were welcomed by the notable people of the town. After having taken the oath to defend the rights and franchises of the city and of the church, they would enter the cathedral.
In 1897, Saint-Guillaume door was temporarily rebuilt in a feudal manner with blocks of granite, portcullis, machicolation, postern and the coat of arms of the city. This was for the important ceremony to mark the transfer of Saint Paul Aurélien’s relics.